California Disability Advocates Declare July as "Independent Living Month"
Independent Living Month (ILM) is an observance held in July to educate the public about the importance of living independently for people with disabilities.
ILM highlights the concepts of the Independent Living Movement: equality, independence, freedom, self-determination, and choice for people with disabilities. The monthly long campaign highlights the various advocacy campaigns our community is engaged in, National Disability Voter Registration Month and the Americans with Disabilities Act 27th Anniversary.
For more information on the observance, click here to download the toolkit.
Social Media Toolkit
The toolkit includes sample social media messages. Each week of #ILM2017 focuses on a different aspect of the Independent Living Movement:
- I Am Self-Determination. My Independence Means Having Access to Healthcare. (July 1st to July 14th) Share your Medicaid Matters story: https://scdd.ca.gov/tell-us-your-medicaid-story/
- I Am Doing My Part: My Vote Matters. National Disability Voter Registration Week. (July 17th to July 21st) Check out AAPD's National Rev Up Campaign.
- I am the Americans with Disabilities Act. Celebrating 27th Anniversary of the ADA. (July 24th to July 31st) Use the hashtags: #ADALegacy and #ADA2017
To download the toolkit, click here.
How to Participate
- Add the Independent Living Month 2017 filter your profile photo: https://twibbon.com/Support/independent-living-month
- Add the Independent Living Month banner to your organization's Facebook/Twitter cover or website. Images available online: Download the Toolkit
- Share resources and disability history all month long using #ILM2017 and #IAmSelfDetermination.
ILM is hosted in a partnership with the California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC), Disability Rights California (DRC), the State Independent Living Council (SILC) and the California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR).