News & Topics in Our Community
YOUR STORY, YOUR VOICE: California Needs More Options
April 2, 2019
Are you or someone you know living with disabilities?
Are you or someone you know living with chronic illnesses?
Are you or someone you know living with a pre-existing condition?
If so, you most likely access or struggle to afford and access
LONG TERM SUPPORTS & SERVICES (LTSS) this means:
- Access to daily living support, such as bathing, dressing, eating, grocery shopping, medications, wound care, paying bills, transportation, etc.
- The ability to modify your home to be more physically accessible
- Having support to navigate what services exist
- Access to assistive technology, such as durable medical equipment, a cpap machine, text-to-voice technology, and more.
BUT, accessing what you need can be a challenge, especially:
- If you do not qualify for Medi-Cal and are unable to afford out of pocket services.
- If you had to spend all of your money and assets to qualify for Medi-Cal
- If you coordinate paid or unpaid caregivers and struggle to hire because of the care crisis
Do you resonate with any of these situations?
Do you believe that there must be more options available for long term supports and services (LTSS)?
We can only help to pave the way for more LTSS options through listening and honoring our stories - the stories of people with disabilities, of all ages!
Join an effort led by older adults, people with disabilities and homecare workers that seeks to create more options for Californians to live with dignity and access in their homes and communities. The California Aging and Disability Alliance is working to find a sustainable funding source to create a new program to help Californians pay for long-term supports and services (LTSS)/Long-term Care (LTC) as well as create hundreds of great homecare jobs. This program is being designed to support those seniors and people with disabilities who fall outside of IHSS, Regional Center and other public LTSS programs, and struggle to afford the supports they need to remain in their homes.
If you have a story to share and want to get involved in this work, we’d love to hear from you! Please email email@example.com or text/voice-call at (916) 606 5300.