AHCA Action Center For Affordable Accessible Health Care
Please correct the following errors:
The Affordable Care Act made significant progress in expanding access to health care for people with disabilities and pre-existing conditions. Access to consistent and reliable healthcare is critical for people with disabilities and the ACA created much-needed reforms to health insurance, addressed systemic discrimination, and expanded coverage.
Because of the ACA:
- Health insurers can't deny you health insurance if you have a disability or chronic condition.
- There aren't arbitrary financial limits to how much health care you can get in a year or in your lifetime.
- Twenty million adults and children now have health insurance, thanks to the Medicaid Expansion and the health insurance subsidies.
- More people with disabilities receive supports and live in the community, not institutions.
Contact Your U.S. Representative & Senators!
Contact your representative/senator for the U.S. Congress and speak your mind! Not sure of your congressional district or who your member is? Enter your zip code below to find out:
You may also call the United States Capitol to reach your Senators and Representatives:
Organize an Event in Your Community!
One thing you can do is organize an event in your community to inform Republicans in Congress about the critical need for healthcare services for people with disabilities. NCIL is working with ADAPT to coordinate these events. Please organize a press conference, public accountability session, or public leafleting at district offices of elected officials.
To make your event more effective, contact the media and try to get press coverage of your event. We have sample media alerts and press releases in an Online Toolkit. It includes a letter from the National Disability Leadership Alliance that was signed by more than 200 organizations. The Toolkit is being updated regularly. If you are organizing an event, contact Christina Mills (916) 325-1690 x333 [email protected] and Ericka Jones (585) 546-7510 [email protected].
Find an Action in Your Community
Connect with Local Groups Taking Action
- Attend events in your area: ACA Defense Hub (Website) California Pan-Ethnic Health Network
- Take Action During Congressional Recess (Website) Center for Public Representation
- Find group meetings: Indivisible - A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda (Website) Indivisible
- Find events in your area: Town Hall Project (Website) Town Hall Project
Let Your Opinion Be Seen and Heard About Healthcare!
The power of pictures! Take a photo of yourself with a message/sign with your message about healthcare and share your personal story too. Upload that photo to this page and we'll share with the world on social media your opinion about healthcare.
Disability Organizing Network Action Resources:
Below is a resource library on the happenings of the AHCA and information to help empower your voice.
Get the Facts
The Impact on People with Disabilities
- Preserving Access to Home and Community Based Services Through Community First Choice (Website) American Association of Retired Persons
- Disability Talking Points on American Health Care Act (AHCA) (Website) Center for Disability Rights
- Medicaid Per Capita Caps and Block Grants: Devastating for People with Disabilities (PDF) Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities
- Protect the ACA's Gains for People with Disabilities (PDF) Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities
- What Could a Medicaid Per Capita Cap Mean for Low-Income People on Medicare? (Website) Kaiser Family Foundation
Learn About Proposed Changes to Medicaid
- Fact Sheet: Changing Medicaid to a Block Grant or Per Capita Cap Could Hurt Californians (PDF) American Association of Retired Persons
- Health Reform in Translation (PDF) California HealthCare Foundation
- Medicaid Work Requirement Would Limit Health Care Access Without Significantly Boosting Employment (Website) Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Impact of Medicaid Per Capita Caps on Long Term Services and Supports (PDF) Community Catalyst
- Cost Estimate of the American Health Care Act (Website) Congressional Budget Office
- AHCA Fiscal Analysis (PDF) Department of Health Care Services
- Work Requirements in Medicaid: A Bad Idea (Website) Families USA
- Medicaid Per Capita Caps = Cuts & Rationing Care (PDF) Health & Disability Advocates
- Five Million Californians Could Lose Coverage Under ACA Repeal: Data by Congressional District (PDF) Health Access
- Medicaid Restructuring Under the American Health Care Act and Nonelderly Adults with Disabilities (Website) Kaiser Family Foundation
- Restructuring Medicaid in the American Health Care Act: Five Key Considerations (Website) Kaiser Family Foundation
- Evaluating Medicaid Block Grant & Per Capita Cap Proposals (PDF) National Health Law Program
- The Outlook for Medicaid in 2017: Facing Cuts, Block Grants or Per Capital Caps? (PDF) The Arc
Let Your Voice Be Heard
Contact Your Local Elected Officials
- Civic Engagement Toolbox For Self-Advocates (Website) Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Fact Sheet: How to Call Your Elected Officials (PDF) Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Fact Sheet: In-Person Meetings with Elected Officials (PDF) Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Fact Sheet: Sending Elected Officials Emails, Letters, and Faxes (PDF) Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- They Work For Us: A Self-Advocate’s Guide to Getting Through to your Elected Officials (PDF) Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Social Media Toolkit (PDF) Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities